Put a little crunch in your cooking with almond rice!
If you like curry and I know you do, then here is a little treat to go with it! Indian Almond rice is a nice alternative to simple white rice and it’s easy to make!
Whenever I plan a curry night for friends, I usually try to introduce something just a bit different. That is what you are getting here. Almond rice looks appetizing. The sweet taste of the raisins and butter together with hot spices and crunchy texture of the almonds make this a side dish that could stand on its own.
If you haven’t tried Indian almond rice, why not do it today. You’ll be glad you did. If you have any leftovers, fry them up the next day with cooked – omlet style eggs – in a little sesame oil. Pour a tablespoon of soy sauce over the top for an easy Chinese style egg fried rice lunch.
International & UK Orders
How to Make Indian Almond Rice - An Easy Recipe That Goes With All Indian Curries
- 2 cups (500ml) Basmati Rice.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Handful of raisins.
- 4 bay leaves.
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoon flaked almonds
- Pour the rice into a large saucepan of water. Using your hands, stir the rice around. The water will turn a cloudy white. Pour the water out and fill it back up with fresh water. Repeat nine to ten times until the water runs clear.
- Pour fresh water over the rice and allow to soak for 30 minutes
- Drain the water and add fresh water so that the rice is covered by about an inch of liquid.
- Add basmati rice, turmeric, bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cardamoms to the water.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil. When the water boils, allow it to boil for ten second and then turn off the heat.
- Leave the rice covered without disturbing for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and add the chopped onion. Fry over a low setting for about 10 minutes until the onion is translucent and lightly browned.
- TO SERVE
- Remove the lid from the rich and stir with a fork to separate the grains. Don't stir too rigorously or the delicate grains will split.
- Add the fried, onions and raisins and fold into the rice.
- Transfer to a serving dish with the flaked almond sprinkled on top.