Raw fresh oysters take some getting used to but when you do…
I am happy to have been able to convert so many people into fresh oyster fans over the years. I’m sure they make a scary site to those who have never indulged but I promise you they are so good.
It usually takes about three to get hooked. The first oyster is just plain weird. It swirls and swims around in your mouth and the experience never seems to end. Don’t give up! Try another one and then another. You will love raw fresh oysters especially if they are served with a simple spicy sauce like I have here for you.
This sauce only takes about two minutes to make. What a great way to start a dinner party. I’ve been to oyster festivals many times. I’ve had these babies smoked, pan fried, dipped in batter and made into pakora and like this. Personally I prefer eating them fresh from the sea – either on their own or with a nice zesty sauce.
Shucking the oysters is a little bit of work. If you have a good fishmonger, ask them to do this for you. You could of course shuck them yourself. It does get easier with experience.
I hope you like this recipe. Please be sure to let me know what you think.
for Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Android, Mac and PC right here!
Fresh Oysters With A Spicy Sauce
- 2 dozen raw oysters - shucked
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 fresh green chillies - very finely chopped
- 1 inch of ginger - finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- A pinch of salt to taste
- Simply mix the sauce ingredients in a large bowl.
- Check for seasoning. If you want more spice, add more chilli, more salt... You've got the idea.
- Serve the oysters chilled on a plate of seaweed and/or ice.