This spicy mussels recipe is from my cookbook ‘The Curry Guy Easy’. So you know the recipe has to be easy to be featured in that book. These spicy mussels might be easy to make but they taste amazing and that’s the important thing!
Yield: 2 - 4
Spicy Mussels Cooked in Coconut Milk
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds 20 curry leaves
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
- 400ml (14oz) tin thick coconut
- 175ml (2/3 cup) dry white wine (optional)
- 1kg live mussels, de-beaded and cleaned
- 100ml (scant 1/2 cup) double
- (heavy) cream (optional)
- A pinch of saffron, soaked in a little warm milk
- A pinch of ground turmeric 1 tbsp sugar or jaggery
- 1 small bunch of coriander
- (cilantro), finely chopped Salt and freshly ground pepper Bread or rice, to serve
- Melt the ghee in a large pan with a tight fitting lid over high heat.
When melted and visibly hot, add the mustard seeds. They’ll start to pop in
about 30 seconds. This is your cue to reduce the heat to medium–high and toss
in the curry leaves and chopped shallots.
- Fry until the shallots turn soft and translucent.
- Now add the chopped chillies and the garlic and ginger paste and stir to
combine. Pour in the coconut milk and wine, if using, and bring to a rolling
- Tip in the mussels and cover with the lid to let them steam for about 4
minutes. They are ready when the shells open. Discard any shells that don’t
open or are broken.
- Add the cream, if using, saffron milk, turmeric and the sugar. Check for
seasoning, sprinkle with the chopped coriander (cilantro) and serve immediately
with bread or rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 856Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 1289mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 4gSugar: 22gProtein: 68g
Many thanks to Kingfisher beer who supply me with the beer (for beverage and sauce) to bring this recipe to you.