This is an amazing and easy flatbread recipe!
I visit an Asian market near my home often where I purchase flatbreads that my kids just love. For that matter, I happen to think they’re pretty amazing too.
So when I visited a street festival recently and saw a man cooking flatbreads that looked like those I purchased I knew I had to give it a go. He wasn’t giving up his recipe but that was understandable.
I just watched as he cooked on an upside-down wok over a fire. He was an expert and made huge flat breads using sticky dough that were paper thin. My flatbreads were a bit smaller and not nearly as pretty as his but they were sure good.
I recommend making your flatbreads small first unless you’re a professional baker. I topped mine this time with chopped garlic that I cooked slowly until very soft in olive oil and a little flaky sea salt. You may also like to try other toppings like cheese, ghee or chilli.
This recipe is great with curries or used as you would tortillas filled with dhal or meat.
I’ve since taught my son the recipe. He does it better than me so it’s his job now.
International & UK Orders
- 800ml (3 cups) plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 400ml Tepid water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 250ml (1 cup) course polenta corn flour
- Heat the water until hand hot and then pour it in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle in the yeast and stir until it is dissolved.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients except the polenta flour.
- You want to kneed into a very soft and somewhat sticky dough. If it is too sticky to work with, add more flour. If it is too hard, add more water.
- Allow to stand for about an hour.
- After an hour, heat a wok over a high flame.
- Take about a tennis ball sized ball of the dough and flatten it into a disk with your hands. It should be quite sticky and difficult to work with.
- Sprinkle with the polenta on both sides and then carefully roll out into a thin flatbread.
- Turn the wok over and slap it onto the hot underside.
- Cook for about 3 minutes and then turn over to finish cooking for about a minute.