Celeriac has to be one of the ugliest vegetables around. Just look at it. It takes some doing to make it look good. It doesn’t take much, however to make it taste great and I think I have suceeded in this celeriac salad recipe.
For this celeriac salad, you might want to get yourself a mandolin as this makes the job of shredding it much easier. I love the look and texture of the long spaghetti like strips. You could of course simply grate it or cut in thinly with a sharp knife.
I came up with this recipe while going through my family cookbook. Originally, this was a French/Italian recipe but with a few adjustments, I gave this celeriac salad an Indian twist.
If you loved this recipe try these similar ones:
- 1 celeriac – Peeled and prepared as you wish
- 125ml ( ½ cup) crème frâiche
- 125ml ( ½ cup) mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons small capers – finely chopped
- 1 green chilli – finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon French mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of garam masala
- Peel your ugly celeriac.
- Run it through a mandolin or finely slice or grate it.
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients together.
- Add just enough of the dressing to coat the celeriac. About half should do the job. Retain the rest. Allow the celeriac to marinate for 30mins to 8 hours.
- Add the rest of the dressing to the salad and mix well. Check for seasoning and serve.
The ingredients for this dish were all purchased at Aldi. Aldi is a sponsor of my blog and I know I can always rely on them!
If you like the look of the De Buyer mandolin, you can purchase it at Nisbets. I highly recommend getting one. They are life changing. You can view it and a selection of other great quality mandolins here.