It would be difficult to find beef better that Wagyu. I’m sure it exists but it’s currently my personal favourite. The other day I was sent a few Wagyu beef steaks from Alternative Meats and couldn’t wait to get stuck in!
This is a simple recipe. I didn’t want a heavy marinade that would have competed with the natural flavour of the Wagyu beef. Instead, I chose an old favourite.
The simple marinade could of course be used with any good quality beef. Wagyu beef isn’t cheap so just use any quality sirloin or rump steak if you like. If you want a real treat, however, go for the Wagyu.
The nicely marbled meat is so tender and tastes great grilled over open flames. Crispy and charred on the outside and rare and tender on the interior. It’s food heaven.
This is a recipe that really needs to be cooked on the barbecue or in the tandoor oven for best results. I’ve tried pan frying and roasting it in the oven but for me, it’s all about barbecue! End of.
Tandoori Wagyu Beef Kebabs
- 800g Wagyu Sirloin or rump steaks cut into bite sized pieces
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- Freshly cracked white and black peppercorns to taste.
- Salt to taste
- Limes and chilli sauce to serve.
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and dump the beef cubes in.
- Allow to marinate for about eight hours.
- When ready to cook, heat your coals in the barbecue until they are white hot. I usually cook when my hand becomes very hot when held at the level the meat will be cooked for about two seconds.
- The meat can be cooked on a grill but I prefer to skewer them as photographed.
- Grill until the meat is nicely charred on the exterior and the inside is cooked to your preferred doneness. I like it rare or 50c. Medium rare is 56c.
- Serve with lime wedges and your favourite chilli sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wednesday 18th of March 2015
This looks so delicious....oops i dribbled a bit thinking about cooking this on a BBQ - Sally @ http://lifeloving.co.uk/
Monday 13th of April 2015
Thanks for that! Dan