Put this crispy chicken and broccoli on your ‘must-try’ list!
Quick and easy, this crispy chicken and broccoli makes the perfect mid-week meal.
No need to go out to the Chinese Takeaway. You can whip up this hugely popular dish in minutes and it tastes better too.
I like to use tender stemmed broccoli for this as it fries up quicker and looks fantastic on the plate too.
How to get this recipe just right…
You know when you pick up a Chinese takeaway and bring it home, just to open it up to look at food that looks like it has been nuked?
Well this won’t happen when you cook crispy chicken and broccoli at home.
Use the freshest ingredient you can get your hands on and be sure to cook the broccoli separately to the rest of the stir fry.
Step by step photos…
If you like this crispy chicken and broccoli recipe, give some of these a try too…
Salt and Pepper Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
General Tso’s Chicken
Crispy Chicken and Broccoli
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce or more oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp unsalted chicken stock or water
- Juice of two limes
- FOR THE CHICKEN
- 4 tbsp rapeseed (canola) or peanut oil
- 4 tbsp cornflour (corn starch)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- TO FINISH
- 300g tender stemmed broccoli, cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces
- 2 red bird’s eye chillies, seeded and cut into rings
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5cm (1 inch) ginger, minced
- 3 spring onions, sliced into thin rings
- Start by preparing the sauce. Place all of the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowls and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together and dust the chicken so that it is equally coated with the cornflour (corn starch) mixture and shake off any excess flour.
- Now pour the oil into a wok over high heat. The oil needs to be about 200c/400f. If you don’t have an oil thermometer, stick a wooded chopstick or spatula in it. When bubbles form around the wood instantly, the oil is ready for cooking.
- Cook the chicken in small batches so that you don’t lower the temperature of the oil and cook until lightly browned and crispy. This should only take about 5 minutes to cook all the chicken. Transfer the cooked chicken to a rack to drain any excess oil.
- Add the broccoli and chillies to the wok and fry for a couple of minutes until just cooked through. Transfer the cooked broccoli to a plate.
- Now add a little oil to the wok if required. You need about a tablespoon of oil. Fry the garlic, ginger and spring onions (scallions) for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Pour the prepared sauce into the wok and bring to a simmer. To finish, return the chicken and broccoli to the wok and stir well to combine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 3386mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 4gSugar: 38gProtein: 55g