Whole fish marinated in tandoori spices is really fun to serve. It looks the part. I like to use sea bream or sea bass but you could really use the whole fish of your choice. I’ve even used this recipe with fresh water trout.
You could bake it in an oven that is heated to its highest setting. If cooking on a barbecue like I did, you will probably need to skewer the fish with two skewers to ensure it doesn’t fall off into the coals. You could also use a rack for the barbecue.
I tend not to place the fish directly onto a grill as the skin sticks and the presentation isn’t nearly as nice.
- 1 – 2 whole Bream or Bass
- 1 tablespoon garlic and ginger paste
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin and coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tandoori masala paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 lemon quartered
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Make shallow slits on each side of the fish. Blend all of the remaining ingredients to make your marinade.
- Season with salt to taste and then rub the marinade all over the fish and marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Skewer the fish and place over a prepared barbecue and grill on both sides until cooked through. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and your favourite chutney. I served this with your favourite raita or chutney