This is one of the most popular British Indian restaurant style naan recipes
Peshwari naans take some experimentation to get right. I don’t really have a sweet tooth so if they’re too sweet, I just don’t like them. That is of course not the case with many people who love very sweet peshwari naans.
Therefore, please use the recipe below as a guide. Feel free to adjust it to your own tastes when you’re making the peshwari paste. With a bit of practice, you will find a recipe that is exactly as you want your peshwari naans to be.
If you have any left-over dough, it can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. Naans for breakfast are a real favourite around my house. If you are planning a curry evening with friends, why not make a selection of naans? Place a plate of plain, garlic, peshwari and cheese and chilli naans on the table and word will get around. Your local takeaway might just call you up to ask for your secret recipe.
International & UK Orders
- 1 quantity naan dough
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon (more or less) sugar
- 200g almond flakes
- 3 tablespoons single cream
- 20 sultanas
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee
- First make the peshwari paste.
- In a food processor, blend the almond flakes, cream, desiccated coconut, sugar and sultanas until they form a thick paste. You may need to adjust the recipe by adding more cream to form the paste if it is too crumbly or more almond flakes if too wet.
- Kneed the peshwari paste into a pliable dough.
- Now take a tennis ball sized ball of the naan dough and make a shallow hole in it with your thumb.
- Place the peshwari paste dough into it and then fold the naan dough around the peshwari paste.
- Roll out into a flat round or teardrop shaped disc.
- Slap the disc between your hands to get all the excel flour off.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat.
- When hot, place the naan disc on the pan and dry fry it for about two minutes. Bubbles should form on the top.
- Turn the naan over to colour the top for about 30 seconds to a minute and then turn it over again until cooked through.
- Brush with hot ghee and serve immediately.