After last night’s festivities, I’m surprised I’m able to sit here and type. I love New Year’s Eve but New Year’s day is definitely a day to do something good for myself and family.
You probably won’t find anything like this recipe in any Indian cookbooks. I made it up, but don’t let that stop you.
Curly kale is nice stir-fried or steamed but in this recipe I serve it raw with ingredients that are used often in Indian cookery. I promise you that you will like this one if you enjoy your salads and a touch of good old spice.
This curly kale salad is one of the healthiest things you can eat. I used to make an Italian version back when I lived in California but today I decided to experiment with it.
This is easy to make and as the curly kale is quite a lot tougher than lettuce, the salad can actually be tossed with the dressing and hour before serving.
So here you go. If you like the idea of this salad but aren’t a big fan of chilli and ginger and garam masala, just leave them out and add a tablespoon of Parmasen for an Italian treat that’s equally as nice.
Curly Kale Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovies
- 4 cloves garlic (more or less to taste)
- 10mm chunk of skinned ginger - finely grated
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 1 red chilli - finely chopped
- Juice of two limes
- Freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (to taste)
- Approx. 200g curly kale - finely chopped
- Pour the olive oil into a large wooden bowl.
- Add the garlic, anchovies, grated garlic and red chili and smash with a fork until becomes a paste.
- Add the Dijon mustard, the lime juice and the chopped coriander and stir to combine.
- Add the curly kale and ensure that it is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Add the black pepper and sprinkle with garam masala and allow to sit for up to an hour or serve immediately.