So today I decided to do something good for myself. Not too good mind, as this recipe does have some mayonnaise in it but there isn’t enough for me to count it as bad.
Some might but me… I’ve always got to have just a little bit of the bad stuff.
Still, this is quite a health coleslaw as coleslaws go. It’s quite spicy so you may wish to tone it down some but you spice fans will like the bite.
I made this today for my wife and me for lunch. There’s still plenty left over for tomorrow and the next day too. That’s one thing I like about coleslaws, they do tend to stay fresh and crisp in the fridge and make a great side dish for so many different recipes.
We had it on its own and I actually feel quite satisfied. But then I did have a large portion of my Indian scrambled eggs this morning.
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage - roughly chopped
- 1/2 small head of red cabbage - roughy chopped
- 1 carrot - skinned and grated
- 5 spring onions - roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons low fat plain yogurt
- Juice of two limes
- 2 green chillies - finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- A pinch of cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- Place the chopped cabbage, carrot and spring onions in a large salad bowl.
- Spoon the plain yogurt into a separate bowl and whisk until creamy smooth.
- Add the mayonnaise and do the same.
- Now add the lime juice, brown sugar, chopped green chillies, coriander, garlic and cumin and whisk it all up until you have a nice dressing that is the same consistency to single cream.
- Check for seasoning and then add your salt and pepper to taste. I used my own brand of spicy salt but any flaky salt will do.
- Allow to stand for about 20 minutes in the fridge and then serve.