My wife is not a big fan of mushrooms so when I made this for lunch today, I didn’t expect much to be eaten. I’m happy to say I was wrong. This recipe was a success even with Caroline!
As it’s not quite outdoor tandoori weather yet, I decided to make these in the oven. I can assure you I’ll definitely be demonstrating this tandoori recipe on the barbecue or in the tandoor oven when weather permits. Watch this space.
I would normally make such recipes with fresh homemade paneer but my work schedule today didn’t permit such luxuries so I used buffalo mozzarella. To be honest, there isn’t a big difference in flavour. Unless you feel like making a batch of paneer, go for the mozzarella.
These mushrooms are stuffed with figs among other things which gives them a slightly sweet flavour that goes really well with my homemade curry leaf vinaigrette. That’s the green bit on the top.
This is a lite vegetarian dish which works well as a main or side dish.
Try my other delicious mushroom and vegetarian recipes:
Large Tandoori Mushrooms with Tandoori Raita
Tandoori Large Flat Mushrooms
Quorn Balti with Mushrooms and Peas
Indian Pickled Vegetables
Spicy Mediterranean Vegetables
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 4 large flat mushrooms - with the stem cut out and chopped for the stuffing
- 150g fresh paneer or mozzarella - roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions - roughy chopped
- 3 soft dried figs - finely chopped
- 1 green chilli pepper - finely chopped
- A pinch of garam masala
- A pinch of cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place a baking tray with a wire rack in the oven and pre-heat to 200c/400f
- Spoon the olive oil and one tablespoon of the ginger and garlic paste into a bowl along with the cumin and garam masala.
- Mix it all up nicely and then place the mushrooms in the marinade.
- Coat them equally all over with the marinade and allow to marinate while you make the filling.
- Working on the countertop or in a large bowl, mix all of the other ingredients together.
- Now remove the mushrooms from the marinade and fill them equally with the stuffing ingredients.
- Remove the hot baking tray and rack from the oven and place the mushrooms on it, stuffing side up.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until cooked through and browned on the top.