I love mushrooms but a couple members of my family aren’t that keen on them. I’m only telling you this because this vegetable fried rice recipe could easily be amended to your own taste. I often use mushrooms and other veggies in this rice recipe.
Just add mushrooms or for that matter add the vegetables of your choice.
For now though, I’ll give you this version of vegetable fried rice and leave it up to you whether you prepare yours like this or experiment and create your own version.
Looking for popular ideas for your homemade vegetable fried rice? You could include shredded cabbage, peas, spring onions and sweetcorn. I like to add soy sauce to mine which is becoming more common in Indian restaurants.
International & UK Orders
If you like the look of this vegetable fried rice recipe, you might also like to try some of these.
Mushroom Fried Rice
No Fail Basmati Rice
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 500ml cooked cold rice
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 carrots – cut into small cubes
- 1 head of broccoli – finely cut
- 6 spears of asparagus – finely cut
- 2 onions – finely cut
- 2 green chillies – finely chopped (more or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon madras curry powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Juice of one or two limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a wok over high heat and add the oil. When it begins to boil, add the garlic and ginger paste.
- You are working at high heat here so continue stirring continuously so that nothing sticks to the bottom. Add your diced carrots.
- After about a minute, stir in the asparagus, broccoli, onion, chillies and soy sauce. Continue stirring!
- Now add the turmeric, curry powder and cumin powder and stir it all up.
- The vegetables should be just about cooked through after another minute. Stir in the rice. You need to stir fast so that the rice is nicely coated and doesn’t stick to the bottom of your wok.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the top, check for seasoning and serve.
I hope you enjoy this vegetable fried rice recipe. If you do try it or perhaps change it to taste, please don’t be a stranger. Leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.
Friday 27th of November 2015
I'm cooking fried rice for dinner tonight... it looks like I've found my recipe :D
Sunday 29th of November 2015
Great Gavin! Hope you enjoyed it. :-)