This chickepea salad can be prepared a few hours before you serve it. It’s really easy to make and goes well with almost any meal. It is great served as a side dish or piled high on top of fresh homemade stovetop naans.
We had a barbecue for friends over the weekend and cooked a lot of meat dishes. Whenever we do this, I always ensure we also serve a good selection of salads. They add not only flavour but beautiful colour to a meal.
This is chickpea salad is also a good one just to have on hand in the fridge. It will keep for a good three days. Personally I can’t stop snacking on it.
Although purchasing tinned (canned) chickpeas is convenient, you will get a lot more for your money if you purchase dried chickpeas.
Soak them overnight and then simply simmer until they are tender.
Cooked chickpeas will keep in the fridge for almost a week. Also, you get that tasty cooking broth when you cook from dried.
Cooked chickpeas and their broth can also be frozen for convenience.
Here are a few chickpea recipes I have on my site which you might like to try with your bulk cooked chickpeas.
- 1 x 400ml tin of chickpeas
- 1/2 cucumber - peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 large tomatoes - diced
- 10 spring onions - roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander - chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley - chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) lemon juice
- 125ml (1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place all of the prepared vegetables and herbs in a salad bowl.
- Pour the lemon juice into a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk into an emulsion.
- Pour this over the vegetables and stir to coat.
- Check for seasoning and place in the fridge for about half an hour before serving.