You will love this simple rhubarb fool recipe that uses seasonal rhubarb.
I was lucky enough to have a neighbour drop me off loads of fresh rhubarb on my doorstep and this rhubarb fool recipe was the perfect recipe for using it.
Where is this recipe from?
When rhubarb is in season, I always think of my grandfather’s rhubarb fool recipe. I think he called it rhubarb pudding.
My grandparents had a huge vegetable garden and I remember harvesting the rhubarb for many different dishes. So this is my grandfather’s rhubarb fool recipe but out of necessity, I changed it today.
When he used to make this, he used his own preserved fruit chutneys. I didn’t have anything like that on hand but looking through my cupboard I found a jar of Patak’s mango chutney.
Why not? I love the stuff and knew it would work wonders in my rhubarb fool recipe. It did!
In fact, I think I improved the recipe with this one. You might know that Patak’s mango chuntey is mildly spiced and I love that bit of zing it gave the dessert.
With the yoghurt and cream, the dessert wasn’t at all what you might call spicy. But it did have a nice kick to it.
So I hope you give this one a try. I know I’ll be making it again very soon.
- 1 KG/ 2.2 IB washed and loosely chopped rhubarb
- 2 tsps. vanilla essence
- 5 tbsp white wine
- 150 g / 5.3 oz. mango chutney (I used Pataks)
- 200g/ 7 oz. Greek yogurt
- 600 ml double cream
- Sprig of mint for decoration
- Put the rhubarb in a sauce pan with the vanilla essence, white wine and mango chutney over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer until the rhubarb is soft, this will take around 30 minutes. As the rhubarb cooks, it will release moisture into the pan. Stir often.
- Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl whip the double cream until it is thick. Fold in the Greek yogurt and then pour in the rhubarb mixture. Spoon the mixture into serving bowls and chill.
- Add a sprig of mint to the top of each dish to serve.
- There, it is as simple as that. A perfect Spring time dessert!
If you enjoy this recipe, you might like to try my chilli chocolate ice cream recipe. The perfect dessert for spice fans!
I hope you like this easy rhubarb fool recipe. If you do give it a try, please don’t be a stranger. Leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you.