Delicious firecracker chicken all made in one pan!
Usually, this dish is fried first in a pan and then baked in a baking tray. You could of course do that too but I like to cook it and bake it all in the same pan.
Take the crispy fried chicken to the table in that flaming hot pan and watch how quickly it gets devoured.
About this firecracker chicken recipe…
There are many different versions of firecracker chicken. Some restaurants add about a tablespoon of soy sauce but I prefer it sprinkled with flaky salt just before serving instead.
It’s really a free for all! Add more buffalo sauce, garlic… Just go for it and make this dish the way you like it.
Cooking the chicken
The chicken is first fried and the roasted with the firecracker sauce in the oven.
This means you only need to lightly fry the chicken. Often the chicken isn’t completely cooked through after frying which is a good thing.
Then it is roasted to perfection.
Step by step photos…
If you like this firecracker chicken recipe, you might like to try some of these too…
- 500g (1 1/4 lbs) chicken breast or thighs, skinned and cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces
- 70g (1/2 cup) cornflour
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 5 tbsp rapeseed (canola) or peanut oil
- 90ml (1/3 cup) buffalo hot sauce, any but I use Frank’s
- 70g (1/3 cup) brown sugar
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes, more or less to taste
- 4 spring onions (scallions) thinly sliced into rings.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200c/400f. Mix the cornflour, salt and pepper on a plate. Then whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then dip them to coat in the flour mixture.
- In a large oven-proof pan, heat the oil over high heat. When a piece of spring onion (scallion) sizzles immediately on contact with the oil, it is hot enough to start cooking.
- Working in small batches, add the chicken to the pan. Fry on both sides for about four minutes or until nicely browned and crispy looking. Transfer the cooked chicken to a paper towel or metal rack to drip any excess oil.
- Once all the chicken is cooked, discard any remaining oil from the pan and wipe it clean. You want to leave a film of oil in the pan though so that the chicken doesn’t stick.
- Place the cooked chicken in one layer in the pan. Then whisk the buffalo hot sauce, sugar and rice vinegar together until smooth and pour it all over the chicken.
- Place the pan in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until you are happy with the crispy appearance of the chicken in that easy but amazing sauce. Sprinkle the top with the spring onions (scallions), chilli flakes and flaky sea salt to serve.
I hope you enjoy this firecracker chicken recipe. If you do try it, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you.