The chicken handi recipe just goes to show, you’ve got to try Hasan’s when in Leeds!
I met Hasan Chaudhry at last year’s World Curry Festival in Bradford. It was the first time for both of us to be on stage doing cooking demonstrations. Hasan also did a pop up restaurant which I decided I had to try.
He handed me a freshly made naan with a lamb kebab and also a fish pakora. I absolutely loved it. In fact I remember texting my wife to tell her how nice it was.
Someday I hope to talk him into giving me those recipes.
So I was pleasantly surprised when out of the blue I received an email from Hasan with the following recipe for chicken handi. I made the recipe tonight and just had to sit down and tell you all about it.
This recipe shows that all those recommendations I’ve received by loyal Hasan’s Restaurant fans over the years were well justified. This recipe is easy to make and the ingredients work so nicely together. Chicken handi is one of the most popular curries at Hasan’s. Now you can make it yourself at home.
Next time I’m in Leeds I will be going to Hasan’s Restaurant. Maybe I’ll see you there.
International & UK Orders
- 800g chicken thighs – skinned and on the bone
- 2 onions – thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tomatoes – chopped
- 4 green chilies – sliced
- A bunch of chopped fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 25g butter
- 150ml vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a handi or large saucepan.
- Add the onions and the ginger and garlic paste and fry until lightly browned.
- Throw in the chicken pieces and stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and green chilies and fry for a further few minutes.
- Add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, the butter and salt to taste.
- Add a little water as required to just cover the chicken.
- Cover and cook slowly until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and chopped fresh chilies and stir to combine.
Thank you so much Hasan! This chicken handi was absolutely amazing!