Shawarma kebabs, in case you’re not familiar with them, are very similar to Greek gyros and Turkish doner kebabs.
These delicious kebabs are very popular in my area and also in takeaways in many town centres.
In thousands of takeaways across the country, beef, chicken and lamb are marinated and then placed on a rotating spit.
The meat is shaved off with a large electric knife and then served in fresh naans topped with salad, hot sauce and/or hummus.
Why restrict Shawarma kebab eating to late night bingeing when quite frankly they may not be nearly as appreciated? Make Shawarma kebabs at home and impress your friends with that post night out taste!
I don’t have a large spit nor the need to cook as much meat as the takeaway so I decided to downsize this recipe a bit. You will need metal skewers and a good barbecue for best results.
Note: It is a lot easier to slice the chicken for shawarma kebabs into discs if you place the chicken breasts in the freezer for about half an hour.
Make the recipe your own:
In my recipe below for shawarma kebabs I use chicken. If you prefer you can replace the chicken with beef, pork or lamb as all would would just as well.
Choose your favourite brand of hot sauce to drizzle all over the shawarma kebabs and then add garlic sauce too if you like it? Top with as much healthy salad as you choose and let all the flavours mix together. Beautiful!
If you love this Schwarma Kebab recipe you will probably find these others interesting:
Stuffed Chicken Kebab Recipe
Low Fat Tandoori Chicken Tikka
Tandoori Style Chicken Lollipops
Whole Tandoori Chicken
International & UK Orders
How To Make Shawarma Kebabs
- 6 large chicken breasts sliced into thin discs
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste (equal abouts of garlic and ginger blended with a little water)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon alspice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Place all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add your chicken discs to the marinade and ensure it is all nicely coated.
- Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. The longer the better.
- When ready to cook, light your charcoal and wait until white hot.
- In the meantime, place the marinated chicken discs on the metal skewers. Add some red onion and pepper slices if you like.
- Place the skewers over the heat and rotate often until charred on the outside and cooked through.
- Remove the meat and chop into small pieces.
- Serve on its own or wrapped in fresh naans, buns or tortillas.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Saturday 29th of April 2023
I have made these with Beef Sirloin and Pork Fillet and loved the flavour. I had them as is (straight from the BBQ) served with Naan and a cold glass of white wine. Heavenly! Also its a great way and a great recipe for pre-cooking meat for Curries
Thursday 4th of May 2023
Sounds delicious. Thanks very much. Dan
Friday 22nd of May 2020
Made these tonight. Added some extra hot chilli powder, garlic powder and onion powder. I used skinless chicken thighs instead of breast......and they were absolutely amazing! Recently purchased you're red book and have made loads. Love the kashmiri and garlic chutney. Naan bread recipe is the best! Keep up the good work
Saturday 23rd of May 2020
Hi Paul Thank you for your comments and I am really glad that you are enjoying my recipes. Dan
Thursday 2nd of April 2020
Hi dan, did these on the bbq last night, they were fantastic, will be making again soon. Jim
Monday 13th of April 2020
Hi Jim Sorry for the late reply but I am glad you enjoyed the scwarmas. Thanks Dan
Tuesday 7th of April 2020
Great to hear Jim.
Thank you! Dan
Wednesday 5th of July 2017
Can't find this recipe in your book - is it called something else ?
Saturday 8th of July 2017
This recipe isn't in my book. A version of it will be in my next book though. It's out May 2018. Thanks, Dan