Spicy Fried Chicken Lollipops make great party snacks!
I love serving these spicy fried chicken lollipops at parties because they are so easy to serve and can be made in advance. All of the preparation, marinating and frying can be done before everyone arrives.
All you need to do is heat them up in a hot oven and serve. If you would like instructions on cutting the chicken legs into lollipops, please see my instructions here.
We’re having a few parties this year and they will certainly be on the menu. All of the ingredients are easy to source. If you can’t find one or two, wing it. You won’t be disappointed.
How do you prepare the fried chicken lollipops?
It’s easy but might take a bit of practice so that you can do the job quickly. Following are step by step photos of how to do it.
Can you use any marinade?
First things first… The marinade I have used for these fried chicken lollipops is a standard tandoori marinade. You can use any of the chicken marinade recipes on my site. You’ll find quite a few here.
For now though, I hope you try the marinade in the following recipe as it’s perfect for these fried chicken lollipops.
Can you work ahead?
Yes. In fact it is a very good idea to let the chicken marinate for one to two days. You can get away with marinating for just 30 minutes but the longer you marinate your fried chicken lollipops, the better!
If you want to fry the chicken before the party starts, go ahead and do that. You will get the best results if you serve your fried chicken and serve immediately. That said, if you would rather not be standing around hot oil frying when people are around, do it ahead of time.
Then just heat the fried chicken lollipops in a hot oven until heated through and serve.
How long do fried chicken lollipops last in the fridge?
Once fried, you can keep the chicken lollipops in the fridge for about 3 days.
Then just heat them up in your microwave or better… Heat them in a hot oven.
Can you freeze chicken lollipops?
Yes. They freeze really well. Just like when you go to the supermarket and purchase fried chicken that has been frozen. That is the result you will get.
So fresh is best but if you want a quick dinner one night, you’ll be glad you have your chicken lollipops in the fridge!
If you love this recipe for chicken lollipops try these other similar ones:
- 12 chicken legs - prepared like lollipops
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon course black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic/ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Salt to taste
- Rapeseed or vegetable oil for deep frying
- Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Cover the chicken lollipops completely with the marinade and marinate for 30 minutes to 24 hours. The longer the better.
- When ready to fry, heat about four inches of oil until a bit off the batter/marinade sizzles immediately when dropped in.
- Fry the chicken lollipops in batches until cooked through. About five minutes should do the job but be sure to check with one. That's what I call chef's bonus.