There are so many ways to serve delicious idlis! Lately I’ve been experimenting with a few and this version is right up there with the best. It offers a good way to use up any day old idlis you might have while still making a tasty meal or snack.
In order to make this recipe, you need to first prepare an idli batter and cook a few idlis. My recipe is here. Once you’ve done this, you’re almost set to go. Place the idlis in the fridge until they are cold. This will stop them sticking to the pan when you fry them.
Fried idlis are so good simply dipped into a good raita or chutney. That’s what I usually do. This time, however I also topped them with coconut butter from my sponsor Cocofina! Talk about amazing! Get yourself some of their coconut butter and you will be in food heaven!
International & UK Orders
- Cold idlis - right from the fridge - cut into bite sized pieces
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 - 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- Salt to taste
- Cut your idlis into small bite sized pieces as shown.
- Heat your oil in a medium sized pan until bubbly hot. I usually fill my pan with about three inches of oil.
- When hot, fry the idlis in batches until they are crispy and brown. Transfer fried idlis to a paper towel to soak up any excess oil
- While still hot, spoon the coconut butter over the top and let it melt. Then sprinkle with a bit of salt and serve as they are or with your favourite raita or chutney.
Cocofina is a sponsor of my blog. I love their top quality coconut products. You can find more information here.