For this masala papads recipe I used papads with cumin seeds which are really nice. You could use plain papads or any that you like. Black pepper papads and chilli papads are also delicious.
If you are planning a curry feast, this is one that you can prepare a couple of days ahead of time. Just store the roasted papads in an air-tight container and the masala, covered in the fridge.
Although I have seen masala papads on many different menus, it wasn’t until I went to Goa that I finally ordered them.
Of course, here in the UK the papads are usually fried into papadams and then served with a selection of dips. I think you’re going to like the flavour of the roasted papads, topped with this simple but taste masala!
I like to stack them up and serve them like a salad.
If you loved these masala papads try these chutneys that are delicious served with papads:
- 2 – 3 papads per person
- 3 – 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large tomato – diced
- ½ red onion – finely chopped
- 2 – 3 green chillies – finely chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic - minced
- Juice of one lime
- 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the tomato, red onion, chillies, lime juice and coriander in a large bowl. Season with salt to taste and even add a little chaat masala if you like. Remember that most papads and chaat masala (if using) already have salt in them so it is a good idea to try one first so that you don’t over season the masala. Cover and place in the fridge while you roast your papads.
- Heat a dry frying pan over medium high heat. With a brush or your hand, spread a little oil over a papad on both sides. Place it in the centre of the pan and press it down with a spatula.
- You will be able to see the papad cooking through. When this begins to happen, flip it over and press it down again with your spatula. Continue flipping until the papad is nicely roasted on both sides and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack and continue cooking the rest of the papads in the same way.
- To serve, top each papad with about two tablespoons of the masala.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Another option: Lightly oil your papads and place in the microwave for 40 – 60 seconds. You won’t get the same roasted flavour but they will become nice and crisp.