This is how my grandmother used to prepare rice. She’d make the baked rice with Italian ingredients but today I decided to give it a go with garam masala.
It worked perfectly. To finish it off, I threw in some cubed chicken I had marinating. Using marinated chicken isn’t essential. You could just throw in what you have on hand.
I’d forgotten all about this recipe until I looked through our old family cookbook searching for a completely different recipe.
This baked rice recipe caught my eye and I decided I had to make it.
I used to love it as a kid but had somehow forgotten all about this recipe.
This method of cooking rice really works. The rice is crispy on top and in the centre, it’s perfectly cooked. None of the grains stick together and there is no need for fluffing it up, it already is.
If you’re looking for a way to prepare rice for any meal, give this baked recipe recipe a try. You could use whatever spices you like, from Mexican to Chinese.
All of the ingredients are easily sourced.
If you enjoyed this recipe check out these similar ones:
Pilau Rice with Ghee or Butter
Vegetable Fried Rice
Coriander Rice with Lime
Cauliflower Egg Fred Rice
Onion Fried Rice
International & UK Orders
Chicken & Garam Masala Baked Rice
- 370g (2 cups) Basmati rice
- 250ml (1 cup) full fat milk
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 2 cloves garllic - finely minced
- 3 tablespoons single cream
- 1 tablespoon garam masala or curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 250g (1/2 pound) chicken - cut into small pieces
- 50g unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse your rice a few times in what until the water runs almost clear.
- Soak the rice for about an hour.
- When ready to cook, preheat your oven to 180c (356f).
- Pour the rice and the rest of the ingredients except the butter into an oven proof dish.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and place on top.
- Put the dish on the centre rack and bake for an hour.
- The rice should be browned and crispy on top. Remove from the oven and leave stand for ten minutes before serving.
Saturday 13th of August 2016
I made this last night. And, it was SO delicious. I did sauté half an onion and the garlic with some minced Serrano pepper and added this to the ingredients . I've been looking for a chicken and rice dish -- looks like I found it. Thanks, Curry Guy!
Mary in CA
Wednesday 27th of July 2016
Hey Dan I really love your recipe and will this one a try what is single cream
Tuesday 9th of August 2016
Not sure where you are but it is also called half and half in some parts.
Wednesday 13th of July 2016
You do not mention the chicken in the instructions!!
Tuesday 26th of July 2016
I do. :-) It's one of the 'rest of the ingredients'. Hope you get a chance to try this one. I love it and it's easy.