This is another easy one for you. Some might say this onion fried rice recipe is self explanatory but it really isn’t. To get it right, you’ve got to follow a few rules.
With all onion fried rice recipes it is best to use a stainless steel pan or wok if possible. They retain the heat better and don’t cool down when you add the essential cold cooked basmati rice.
Other pans will do the job but you will definitely get better results which are closer to British Indian restaurant style dishes with a stainless steel pan.
We use cold cooked rice in this recipe so that the rice grains remain firm. If you were to use cooked hot rice, the rice grains would become mushy. It is very important that the rice is very hot before serving.
Like the look of this onion fried rice? Try some of these sides too.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion - finely sliced
- 500ml (2 cups) cooked cold basmati rice
- 3 spring onions - finely chopped
- Heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Pour in the sliced onion and stir into the oil. You want the onion to become translucent and soft but not brown.
- Turn up the heat to high.
- When the oil is very hot, add the cooked cold basmati rice.
- Stir rigorously for about two minutes until the rice is very hot and nicely coated in the onion flavoured oil.
- Season to taste with the salt and sprinkle with the chopped spring onions to serve.
I hope you enjoy this onion fried rice recipe. If you do try it, please don’t be a stranger. Leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you.