Perfect with any meal, give the spicy potatoes a try today!
Looking for something a little different for Sunday dinner or your next barbecue? Give these spicy potatoes a go. They are so easy to prepare. I used Gem baby new potatoes but you could use any potatoes for this one,
About this spicy potatoes recipe.
This recipe could not be easier. You could use commercially available ground spices but I like to roast and grind my own.
The spices don’t need to be ground to a fine powder. In fact, I prefer them to be roughly ground. Roasting them first adds beautiful spicy flavour that compliments the natural flavour of the potatoes.
How to serve these spicy potatoes.
These are so delicious served hot from the oven but they are equally as good served cold with a good raita for a picnic. Try stirring them into this Indian style yoghurt sauce. It’s very simple and a great way to serve them.
What do you serve these potatoes with?
These spicy potatoes are an excellent and healthy alternative to Basmati rice with a curry. You might like to try some of these new one pot curry house style curries with them.
They are also amazing as a side for lamb raan, tandoori chicken, tandoori fish or anything really. They’re potatoes!
Can you add these spicy potatoes to a curry?
Yep! Why not? Adding pre-cooked potatoes to a curry is done often. It’s a great way to use up any leftovers you might have.
Try adding them to railway lamb curry, or aloo gosht for example.
Spiced Roast New Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1.5 kilo new potatoes or other potatoes of choice
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 4 cloves garlic - lightly smashed but in their skin
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder or paprika
- Salt to taste
- Start by roasting your whole spices over medium high heat in a dry frying pan until fragrant but not smoking. Grind roughly in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
- Cut the new potatoes in half or in thirds so that all of the pieces are close in size.
- Mix evenly with the oil, ground spices, garlic and chilli powder or paprika. Set aside for about a half hour or more.
- Heat up your oven to its highest setting and place the potatoes on a roasting tray. Remove the garlic cloves and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in your heated oven and roast for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, stir in the garlic cloves and continue roasting for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender in the centre and crispy on the exterior.
- Season with salt to taste and serve hot or cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g