Aloo gosht… Indian meat and potato stew.
Aloo gosht or as I like to call it meat and potato stew is actually an Indian stew with meat and potatoes. The combination of tender chunks of lamb and cooked potatoes is delicious. I like to cook the potatoes until they are almost falling apart into the sauce.
Aloo gosht is such an easy curry to make. There is only a bit of prep work and then your saucepan does most of the work. Just be sure to cook those potatoes and the meat until fork tender. You will enjoy the curry much more.
Some people try to rush things and you really don’t want to do that with a good curry!
International & UK Orders
- 5 tablespoons rapeseed, vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions – finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon Basar curry powder or or chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 x 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 750g (1 ½ lbs.) Lamb leg cut into bite sized pieces with bone
- 450g (1 lb.) potatoes - peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Heat the oil/ghee in a large pan over medium high heat.
- When visibly hot, add the cumin seeds and temper in the oil for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and fry until lightly browned. About five minutes should do the job.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger paste and allow to sizzle for about 30 seconds and then add the red chilli flakes, chilli powder, paprika, turmeric, coriander and ground cumin.
- Stir this into the onion mixture. It will become quite fragrant after 30 seconds. When this happens, stir in the chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and leave as is or blend with a hand held blender until smooth if you prefer a smooth sauce.
- Stir in the lamb pieces with the bone and simmer in the sauce for about 30 minutes.
- Now add the cubed potatoes and cover the pan to let both the meat and potatoes cook through for about 10 - 20 minutes depending on the size of your potato chunks.
- When the meat is tender and the potatoes are nice and soft, season with salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with the garam masala to serve.