I used to love going out for this simple but delicious chicken curry with coconut milk! I first tried it at a Middlesbrough restaurant near my home called Dosa Houze. Unfortunately, the restaurant didn’t make it but I learned the recipe from the head chef at the time.
Not many people know what dosas are in Middlesbrough. They are much more popular in London and the south but hopefully my local dosa house returns someday.
At the restaurant they served dosas first with a selection of chutneys and then brought out the curry coconut curry and naans. I had some great times there with friends and of course some amazing food.
Luckily I got this chicken curry recipe with coconut milk so I can make it at home. That’s something I do often.
As curries go, this is quite unique. Perhaps not in southern Indian from where the recipes stems but here in the UK it is special.
You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like. I prefer mine on the spicy side and use a lot of chillies which is the traditional way of serving this coconut chicken curry.
My kids don’t like spice much so I leave the chillies out for them.
I’ll leave that one up to you.
International & UK Orders
- 1 kilo (2lbs) chicken breast meat - skinned and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large Spanish onions
- 2 red chilli peppers
- 400ml chopped tomatoes
- 800ml coconut milk
- 20 fresh or frozen curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander - finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and mix with the turmeric, lemon juice and a little salt.
- Set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or pan until bubbling.
- Add the curry leaves and the spices and allow to sizzle for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chopped onions and fry over medium heat until they are translucent and soft. Stir regularly.
- When soft, sprinkle a little more salt over the onions. This will help them release some moisture into the sauce.
- Now add the garlic and ginger paste along with the chopped chillies.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and the chicken.
- Stir the chicken pieces into the sauce and top up with a little water or chicken stock so that the meat is just covered.
- Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the chopped coriander and the coconut milk.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
I hope you enjoy this chicken curry recipe with coconut milk. It really is so easy and delicious too. If you get a chance to leave a comment, please do. I would love to hear from you.