This Thai prawn soup using so good! Give it a try soon.
If you are reading this Thai prawn soup recipe because you followed a link from my pork broth recipe, hello again! You are in for a treat. If not, you are still going to love this one. For best results, make it with homemade Thai pork stock.
You can find my Thai pork broth recipe here.
Thai prawn soup can also be made with Thai style prawn stock, chicken stock or even water. Note, however that western flavour stock cubes and ready made stock won’t work nearly as well as they are not flavoured in the same way. Just use water before a stock cube.
The good news is that making a Thai style prawn soup is really easy. Both the stock preparation and making the prawn soup itself can be done in minutes other than the passive work of letting the pork broth simmer.
About the ingredients in the prawn soup recipe.
I am currently writing a series of recipes with ingredients I’m using up from my freezer and larder. Times are tough for all of us at the moment so I want to offer this series of recipes with ingredients you might already have on hand.
Even if you don’t at the moment, you can find most of the ingredients at supermarkets or Asian shops. Most are also available online. I just reordered!
All of the ingredients in this prawn soup recipe can also be frozen.
I love Thai food but don’t eat it every day. I often do a big shop for Thai ingredients and then freeze them for later.
So then… the idea here is to use what you have on hand. If you want to use other vegetable in this soup, go for it. If you’d rather use water for the broth instead of pork stock, there’s nothing wrong with that.
Taste and adjust the flavours as you go and you will have a delicious Thai hot and sour prawn soup at the end.
- 1 litre (4 cups) Thai pork broth, chicken stock or water
- 3 tbs. Thai fish sauce
- 4 green bird’s eye chillies - smashed (or to taste)
- 2 red bird’s eye chillies – smashed (or to taste)
- 2 lemongrass stalks – cut into 3 pieces each and lightly smashed
- 4 thin slices of galangal - smashed
- 7 Kaffir lime leaves – stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 tbs coriander (cilantro) stems – finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 shallots – thinly sliced
- 8 mushrooms – cut into bites sized pieces. Any variety fine
- 8 baby corn – roughly chopped
- 20 prawns (shrimp) peeled and deveined
- Juice of one lime
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro) to garnish
- Heat the stock/water, fish sauce, chillies, lime leaves, galangal, lemongrass, coriander (cilantro) stems, shallots and sugar in a 3 litre (3 quart) saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in the baby corn and mushrooms. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the prawns and simmer for another five minutes or until they are cooked through and pink.
- Taste the soup and check for seasoning. If you like a saltier flavour, add more fish sauce. Want it sweeter? Just add more sugar. You can make the prawn soup spicier by adding more smashed chillies and simmering for a little longer.
- Just before serving, add the lime juice and garnish with the chopped coriander (cilantro).