Chickpea fries are gluten free and delicious!
You are going to love this recipe for spicy chickpea fries. Made with chickpea flour and aromatic spices, these crispy delights are a perfect snack choice. Packed with protein and fiber, they offer a healthier twist to traditional fries. . Let’s dive into the recipe for chickpea fries!
What are chickpea fries?
Also known as gram flour fries or besan fries, these are delicious snacks made from chickpea flour. A batter of chickpea flour, water, spices, and seasonings is spread out, set, and cut into fry-like shapes.
Deep-fried to a golden crispness, these chickpea fries have a nutty flavour and a crunchy texture. They can be enjoyed as starters or side dishes, paired with dips or sauces. Chickpea fries are versatile, gluten-free, and packed with protein, fiber, and nutrients. With their unique taste and health benefits, they offer a delightful alternative to traditional fries.
Are chickpea fries difficult to make?
Making chickpea flour fries is really easy! First, you’ll create a flavourful batter by combining chickpea flour, water, and a variety of spices. Spread the batter onto a greased pan and let it firm up for about 30 minutes.
Then you just cut it into the shame of fries. Heat up some oil in a pan under adult supervision, and carefully fry the chickpea fries until they turn a lovely golden brown. Once they’re perfectly crispy, serve them up with your favorite dipping sauces. Delight your taste buds and enjoy the culinary masterpiece you’ve created!
How long can you keep these fries?
Chickpea fries can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
How do you reheat them?
To maintain their crispiness, it’s best to reheat them in an oven or toaster oven instead of your microwave.
Place the fries on a baking sheet and heat them at a low to medium temperature until they are warmed through and regain their desired texture. Remember you need to let them cool a bit before digging in. With proper storage and reheating, you can enjoy the deliciousness of chickpea fries even after refrigeration.
Make this recipe your own
Serve the chickpea fritters with as much or as little chilli powder as you like. The serving dips are up to you as well. They are just as good dipped in ketchup as a healthy yogurt raita.
Can you cook these fries in an air-fryer?
Yes, chickpea fries can indeed be air fried! Air frying is a healthier alternative to deep-frying as it requires little to no oil.
Simply preheat your air fryer, arrange the chickpea fries in a single layer in the basket, and cook them at around 375°F (190°C) for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. The result will be crispy and delicious with a golden exterior. Air frying is a great option if you prefer a lighter version of this tasty snack.
- Make sure your batter has the right consistency by gradually adding water until it’s smooth and pourable. Give it a 30-minute rest to set.
- Fry them at around 350°F (175°C) to avoid any greasiness or uneven browning. Remember to fry them in small batches for even cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd your pan! Cook these fries in small batches for best results.
If you enjoyed this chickpea recipe try these other similar ones:
Spicy Chickpea and Apple Soup
Spicy Chickpea Fries
- 1 litre water
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 185g (2 cups) chickpea flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Bring the water to a boil and add the cumin powder and salt. Stir in the chickpea flour and simmer while whisking constantly for about 3 - 4 minutes. You need to really whisk well to get all the lumps out. When ready, it should look like wet polenta.
- Lay a sheet of wax paper on a baking tray. Pour the gram flour mixture over the top and spread it out so that it is smooth on top and of equal thickness.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into chip shapes.
- Heat your oil for deep frying. I usually use about 10cm (4 inches) of oil. Fry in batches for about 4 - 5 minutes until nicely browned and crispy.
- Serve sprinkled with a little more salt, chilli powder and lemon wedges.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.