Here’s a British Indian Restaurant classic for you!
Lemon fried rice is on the menu of so many great curry houses. I love it and order it often when I’m out. It goes so well with most of my favourite curries.
The great news is that it’s really quite easy to make. The key to success is ensuring you use cold cooked basmati rice. Hot cooked rice will stick and could become a bit mushy.
Be sure to cut the lemon rind quite thin or it will be a bit bitter. You can see how I did it from the picture below.
If you try this one, be sure to let me know what you think. I hope you agree, this one is just like the lemon rice you get at the best Indian restaurants!
International & UK Orders
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500ml (2 cups) cold cooked basmati rice
- Rind of on lemon - finely sliced into small pieces
- 3 chives - finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a stainless steal pan until very hot.
- Add the lemon rind and fry for about 30 seconds so that the oil picks up the lemony flavour.
- Pour in the cold cooked rice and stir like crazy for about two minutes until all the rice grains are nicely coated with the oil.
- Turn up the heat. The rice needs to be piping hot before serving.
- Season to taste with salt and top with the chopped chives to serve.