This Keralan crispy lamb stir fry is seriously one of my favourite Indian recipes.
Not only is this lamb stir fry out of this world delicious, it’s such an easy dish to prepare.
It’s a great way to use up and give new life to leftover lamb roast dinner. Of course you could use raw lamb but that would take a bit longer.
About this lamb stir fry recipe…
Like many of my recipes, I found this one by chance. I was in Tooting, London, with my wife one evening and we happened upot a restaurant called Vijaya Krishna.
Among other Keralan favourites, we ordered the Alleppey lamb stir fry and loved it. Thankfully, Chef Shabaz Ali was more than happy to share his recipe with me. He invited me into the kitchen the next day to show me how it was done.
This lamb stir fry recipe is in two of my cookbooks.
If you would like this recipe in a printed cookbook, I have you covered! I was in London for the photoshoot for ‘The Curry Guy Easy’ when I learned this recipe.
I quickly omitted another recipe so I could fit this lamb stir fry in! So the recipe first appeared in The Curry Guy Easy and then later in The Curry Guy Bible. Both books are available online and at all good book shops.
Make this recipe your own…
Just like all good Indian food, it is important to taste as you go and not just blindly follow the recipe.
This recipe is perfect for my tastes but you could adjust it to your taste too. If you like more soy sauce, add it. More chillies? Why not?
Taste as you go and this will be the most amazing lamb dish you’ve ever tried.
Step by step photographs…
If you like this easy lamb stir fry, you might like to try some of these easy recipes too…
Chicken Tikka Masala from Scratch
Chicken Dopiaza from Scratch
Beef Madras from Scratch
Chicken Vindaloo from Scratch
Rogan Josh from Scratch
Chicken Korma from Scratch
Chicken Chilli Garlic Curry From Scratch
- 2 - 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 - 3 green chillies - cut into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon garlic and ginger paste
- 10 curry leaves
- 500g (1lb) cooked lamb leg or shoulder - cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, garam masala or mixed powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- Juice of one lemon
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. When visibly hot, add the onion and fry for about five minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the green chillies, garlic and ginger paste and curry leaves (optional) and fry for a further 30 seconds before adding the cooked lamb.
- Stir this well and ad the dry spices. Fry until the meat is crispy on the outside and then add the soy sauce and salt to taste. Remember, the soy sauce is already quite salty so taste before adding more salt.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the top and garnish with fresh coriander to serve.
I hope you enjoy this Keralan lamb stir fry recipe. If you do try it, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you.