Looking for something a little different for Sunday dinner or your next barbecue? Give these spiced roast new potatoes a go. They are so easy to prepare. I used Gem baby new potatoes from Sainsbury’s that are in season and perfect for this recipe.
You could use commercially available ground spices but I like to roast and grind my own. The spices don’t need to be ground to a fine powder. In fact, I prefer them to be roughly ground. Roasting them first adds beautiful flavour that compliments the natural flavour of the potatoes.
These are so delicious served hot but they are equally as good served cold with a good raita for a picnic. I have a lot of raita recipes here on the site for you to choose from.
Spiced Roast New Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1.5 kilo bag of Sainsbury's Gem new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 4 cloves garlic - lightly smashed but in their skin
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder or paprika
- Salt to taste
- Start by roasting your whole spices over medium high heat in a dry frying pan until fragrant but not smoking. Grind roughly in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
- Cut the new potatoes in half or in thirds so that all of the pieces are close in size.
- Mix evenly with the oil, ground spices, garlic and chilli powder or paprika. Set aside for about a half hour or more.
- Heat up your oven to its highest setting and place the potatoes on a roasting tray. Remove the garlic cloves and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in your heated oven and roast for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, stir in the garlic cloves and continue roasting for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender in the centre and crispy on the exterior.
- Season with salt to taste and serve hot or cold.
Disclaimer: I was paid by Sainsbury’s to develop this recipe using their Taste The Difference Gem new potatoes. I’m hooked!